How to Make and Use a Castor Pack
History and Uses for Castor Oil
Castor oil has a long history of traditional medical use dating back to ancient Egypt. Derived from the castor bean, the oil was once used internally as laxative is now primarily used externally due to its potential toxicity.
How it works:
A castor oil pack is placed on the skin to increase circulation and to promote elimination and healing of the tissues and organs underneath the skin. It is used to stimulate the liver, relieve pain, increase lymphatic circulation, reduce inflammation and improve digestion.
How it is made:
Castor oil packs are made by soaking a piece of flannel in castor oil and placing it in the skin. The flannel is covered with plastic and then a hot water bottle of heating pad is placed over the plastic to heat the pack.
A castor oil pack can be placed on the following body regions:
– The right side of the abdomen to stimulate the liver (often recommended as part of a liver detox program)
– Inflamed and swellen joints, bursitis and muscle strains
– The abdomen to relieve constipation and other digestive disorders
– The lower abdomen in cases of menstrual irregularities, Endometriosis, Infertility and Cysts
– An old dish towel or old towel cut into the shape of a dish towel
– Castor oil
– A piece of plastic wrap cut 1-2″ larger than the flannel
– A hot wsater bottle or healting pad
– A container with lid or a plastic bag (to store the used pack in between uses)
– Old clothes and sheets. Warning: Castor oil will stain clothing and bedding.
Place the flannel in a bowl or basin. Soak it in castor so that it becomes saturated, but not dripping.
Place the pack over the affected body part (on most cases, the lower abdomen just above the pubic bone)
Once the oil-soaked flannel is in place, cover it with plastic. Place the hot water bottle or heating pad over the pack. Rest with the pack in place for 45-60min.
After removing the pack, cleanse the area with a dilute solution of water and baking soda. Store the pack in the covered container in the refrigerator. Each pack may be reused up to 3 to 4 times.
Frequency: It will vary depending on you specific condition. If you are in the San Diego area and you would like to talk with one of our practitioners at Acupuncture San Diego, please feel free to call to schedule a complimentary consultation 858 381 2281
For more tips about natural health, we invite you to do 3 things:
1. Like our Facebook page where we share a lot of great health and wellness tips https://www.facebook.com/acupuncturesd
2. Download our free ebook which will answer many of the questions you have about natural healing modalities from our Home website page
3. If you would like to discuss your health concerns with our team of practitioners in Acupuncture San Diego, please call to schedule your free complimentary consultation 858 381 2281